Skip to content
Finance, insurance and cost articles in this section cover the following topics:
- ATA Carnets – A Carnet (pronounced kar-nay) is often referred to as a “passport for goods.” Essentially, it is a special customs document that permits the temporary tax-free and duty-free export and import of nonperishable goods for up to a year.
- Costing and Pricing – Establishing the right pricing and procedures for quoting on your products or services are both critical to developing a successful export business.
- Duty Drawback – This is a refund of customs duties collected on an imported product which is subsequently re-exported.
- EXIM Bank – This U.S. Government agency offers both export financing and export credit insurance programs to help US companies compete globally.
- OPIC – The Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) is a self-sustaining U.S. Government agency that helps American businesses invest in emerging markets.
- Overseas Duties/ Tariffs – A tariff or duty (the words are used interchangeably) is a tax levied by governments on the imported products, including freigh
- Payment Terms – The terms of payment are a critical part of any export transaction. They can determine if you are successful in making the sale, if you make a profit, and the associated financial risk.
- SBA Brief – SBA offers export loan guarantees which encourage banks to finance US export shipments.
- SBA Export Financing – The Small Business Administration (SBA) has three loan programs to help U.S. exporters. Because most banks do not advance cash against foreign receivables, the SBA export loan guarantees were created to help to fill this funding gap.
- USDA Brief – The USDA offers credit guarantees to encourage the expansion of U.S. agricultural exports.
- USDA Trade Finance Programs – The USDA administers two programs: Export Credit Guarantee Program (GSM-102) and the Facility Guarantee Program (FGP).
- VAT Reclaim – U.S. companies can claim a refund of Value Added Taxes for most of their business transactions in Europe, the U.K., and many other countries. However, few understand the reclaim process, or recover the funds….and once the filing deadline is missed, the money is gone forever.
- World Bank – The World Bank Group provides advice and financial assistance in the form of discounted loans and grants to countries struggling with poverty, with a focus on areas such as health, education and agriculture.